Friday, May 8, 2009

Ali & Ryan - A Real Love Story

Something happened at work last week, and I feel like I won't stop thinking about it until I purge ala writing, so here goes.

When I introduced myself as Ali to a man sitting at the bar, he immediately responded with,

"Have you seen the movie The Notebook?"

To which I responded, "Yes. Yes I have."

He smiled and we started talking, and once we reached that inevitable point in most small talk conversations where I mention being married, the man said,

"Is he your Noah?"

I smiled and laughed a little, my first thought being "cheeeesy!"

But over the past few days I've thought about it, with increasing frequency. At first, because I was admittadly charmed with being compared to a character in such a beloved modern love story, something which has never happened before, despite having the same name.

But the more I thought about it, the more I really thought about it.

While our over 8 year long relationship has been anything but a fairytale, it's still been something we both consider ourselves very lucky to be a part of. We've hurt each other deeply, the way only those who love you can. We've made it over every hurdle though, held together by a bond that's been unbreakable, even when we've tried our damndest to break it.

Real love.

I don't know about "true love"; I think it's not quite the right wording for some reason. I've experience love that was true before, but it wasn't the same as what I have with my husband. Real love, flawed, impregnable, unbreakable; that's what we have. I don't really think he would or could, stop trying, and God knows I can't.

We can't stop, it's who we are. We aren't ourselves without the other.

So yes, I think he is my Noah. But better.




He's my Ryan.


3 comments:

Laura said...

i loved this post.

Susan said...

So sweet!

Anonymous said...

You guys could make your own love story into a movie. That would be good!

P.S. your music makes me happy =)