Monday, May 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Hello all!

It's been an interesting year all around for me, and my birthday this past Friday has been no exception. I haven't been really looking forward to turning 26, because it puts me on the downhill side of my 20's, and that much closer to 30. While I always say I think 32 is going to be a good year, I'm definitely not in any hurry to get there.

Anyways, I'd been planning my birthday for a few weeks, and I was really excited about it when I went to work on Friday night. It wasn't some big shindig, but for me, who never gets out of the house without going directly to work, it was a big deal. I was planning on going out for drinks with my new (awesome) friends, then spending the night with one of them, sleeping in, then heading to work at4pm.

It was a very long night at work, a constant thing and a huge issue in my life right now that I'm not even going to get into except to say- I work for my in-laws, my husband's father & stepfather. We are not the Brady Bunch.

But I'm not even going to get into that, right? So after a long night, we had about 30 minutes to go, and I was getting pretty excited. Then I was told that I had to be at work the next morning at 10:30am.

FML doesn't even begin to cover the depressed/murderous rage I felt.

I left work biting my tongue so hard it was bleeding and keeping a choke-chain tight hold on my temper, because I have to have this job, and I love my children. But I went straight from the bane of my existence that I call work to my friend's house to change and get ready, and that was when things got better. After a few minutes spent commiserating with her over the unfairness of our work lives (she was also not scheduled 'til 4pm and was told last-minute to be there in the morning), we gathered up her boyfriend and another coworker and headed to the local watering hole.

Things progressed at a normal rate from there.

Drink. Drank. Drunk.

It was a great night :)

The double at work the next day was really rough, and the double the day after that was possibly the longest day in history, but now it's Monday, and I'm off, and I've made a definitive decision that my birthday was a success. Thank wholly to the amazing friends I've made at work; unlikely compatriots in the struggle to maintain composure at the reality-tv-show-in-the-making-hell-hole we work in.

Okay, that was a bit melodramatic, and I apologize. I'm reading a fairly terrible fantasy fiction book right, and I think it must be wearing off on me, due to my diminished brain capacity from the offical "Longest Weekend Ever" and being sick and sleep-deprived.

1 comment:

Laura said...

did not know that you worked for the in-laws.. ouch. But glad you didn't let it ruin your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!