Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thanks for the Encouragement!

Someone recently was kind enough to pinpoint every problem in my life, and casually state exactly what (they thought) I was doing wrong. Granted, they'd had a few drinks at that point. But still...

I'm all for expressing your opinion, but have a little bit of class.

The best part was that, after a serious, 15 minute dissection of why I should be desperately unhappy right now, this person said,

"And you're happy! How does that even work? Your life is shit, and you're still happy. That's either ultimate stupidity or ultimate optimism."

So thank you, kind soul, for your incredibly encouraging words of wisdom in my time of troubles. There is nothing like having someone who has nothing to do with your life make it clear that your way is the wrong way. Oh, and I'm stupid.

Actually, no. I'd rather be optimistic and grateful that I am alive to experience the troubles life gives us.

Being optimistic (and not a complete jerk) are what enabled me to simply smile at you after your rant; to smile and say,

"Thank you. Listening to you has made me realize how much worse my life could be. I could have my life, with your attitude. God that's a depressing thought. Bye!"

He who laughs last, laughs loudest, my friend, and I am still laughing.

2 comments:

Laura said...

wow... they are obviously EXTREMELY unhappy with their own life. Sucks to be them....

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sucks. Whoever said that was an asshole. I just want to tell you that you actually inspire me to be optimistic about things that happen in life every day. That is the most important lesson that I have learned from you over the years my dear cousin (more recently I have noticed, since I don't get to see you ever :( ). I just wanted you to know that. I love how you CHOOSE to view things that happen in life, and I try and think of that everytime SOMETHING or SOMEONE pisses me off. :) LUB U.