Sunday, February 1, 2009

Just a Thought

It's funny how people catagorize other people. I personally have noticed people put me mostly into one of two categories:

1. Snobby, evil, sarcastic, bitchy, know-it-all. We'll call her Miss High & Mighty.

2. Smart, trustworthy to the extreme, loyal, secret-keep, a little crazy, in a quirky way. We'll call her Miss Moonlight, since I often say that I should moonlight as a therapist, at least then I'd get paid for it.


Now, Miss Moonlight and Miss H&M are totally different people. But rarely do people cross that line in their heads, and move me from one to the other. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just is. I can see why people might think Miss H&M is who I really am. Sometimes, sometimes only mind you, I will purposely let them think that is who I am. Why? I am terrible at the whole social friendliness thing. I mean, I can fake it for a while like a champ, I am a star interview-ee for that quality. But if I'm not in the mood to do the fake nice thing, I don't. I don't want people who don't like me to act like they do? Why would I do that to them? I don't want to waste any time in my life around people like that, and I make a conscious effort to avoid ever having to. Miss H&M come in handy at those times.

Miss Moonlight, I would like to think, is closer to who I really am. I am a master secret-keeper; it's a known fact. And there's just something that makes people feel like they can really open up about anything to me, whether I've known them for five years or five hours. I really like that, but it's also kind of strange. Personally, I'm a very private person, so occasionally I'm surprised when relative strangers start pouring their hearts out. But generally, they seem more surpised by it than I am, like they can't believe they just told me that, and yet they can't seem to stop themselves. I appreciate that people feel that I am worthy enough a vessel for holding their deepest thoughts.

The few people who really know me would probably pick Miss In The Middle. She's the one with a basically optimistic outlook, occasionally idealistic, non-judgemental, opinionated, moody, loyal, sarcastic one who can be a blast to be around, or a real bitch, if I'm being espescially snarky.

I find myself a constant contradiction to myself. Which somehow is not surprising at all.

For more, go here :)

No comments: