Friday, March 21, 2008

Obsession

"People can get obsessed with romance, they can get obsessed with political paranoia, they can get obsessed with horror. It's isn't the fault of the subject matter that creates the obsession, I don't think."

~Adam Arkin~


I've spent a rather large portion of my day ruminating on the sheer stupendousness of Keira Knightley. I'm pretty sure that I've Googled her enough to classify it as an "obsession". But seriously, can anyone blame me? The girl is just phenomenal, any way you cut it. She's young, smart, honest, driven, BEAUTIFUL, talented...did I mention beautiful? I mean she is really just stunningly gorgeous to me. Part of that is the way she comes through in her interviews. I especially loved the interview in the Dec. '07 issue of Elle, which featured her on the cover. She's not scared to let her own neurotic thoughts come through, she argues with herself out loud, even refers to herself as a "moody bastard". What's not to love?! When many young starlets keep themselves in the "trash mags" (as I call them) by alternately rehabbing and sticking their heads in toilets at exclusive clubs, she manages to avoid that route, and stick to the "serious actor" lifestyle.

And she actually can act, which is more than some young ingenuous can claim. If you disagree with that, you obviously haven't seen her in Pride & Prejudice. She gives such an impeccable, detailed, perfect performance as Elizabeth. Since that has been my running favorite movie for years, and the reason of my starting obsession with her, I've seen it quite a few times. And still, every time I watch it, I'm blown away anew by the depth she gives to the role, how every word is delivered in the exact tone it should be. And how her eyes seem to actually convey what she is feeling, or I should say what her character is feeling. Her ability to fit herself into the roles she chooses, and own them, is amazing. So many actresses seem to portray the same basic character, no matter who they're playing at the time. Keira Knightley truly becomes the person she's playing, constantly changing, and yet always coming across as realistic in her role. She seems to become the character, instead of someone trying to be the character...if that makes any sense.
knightley



Anyways, I just had to take a moment to share my slight obsession of this most fascinating, enchanting woman. I can't wait to see what else she does over the years. Although, if she turns out to be one of those women whose beauty peaks at 30 instead of 20, I may be forced to go from obsession to depression, slowly leading into a distant hate....haha, just kidding. I'm sure she'll remain as stunning on and off the screen, even becoming more so as she goes.

2 comments:

stefisthebomb said...

I thought I would express my obsession with her as well. She is awesome, and she speaks her mind. She stays true to herself. She is B-E-A-UTIFUL! I can relate to this blog...totally... :) love you

Word Ninja said...

We totally have the same taste in anything worthwhile anyways, so I'm not surprised you agree, lol!